6.05.2009

what do you think?

So, a lot of people seem to think ferrets are good pets. Okay, so here is a picture of some baby ones in a glass:



Sure, so they're kinda cute. But... BUT... ferrets are also known as weasels. And weasels are normally categorized along with rats, squirrels, etc. as being pests.
I guess what I really want to know was when this practice of domesticating such creatures to keep as pets started. I mean, when did someone first pick up a large sewer rat and go "aw, what a great little companion this would make"???
I, personally, prefer traditional pets like dogs, cats, birds, and hamsters (yeah, so hamsters are rodents, but I had one as a toddler so I'm a bit biased). That's just how some of us are. What's your take on keeping critters such as ferrets and rats as pets in the home?

2 comments:

Susie said...

Also they stink!

missvoltage said...

Yes, yes they do. My friend's sister had one that she always carried around in her backpack. It was really stinky. I think they probably have some sort of stink gland that makes them that way, because it's not like she didn't ever give that thing a bath...